Wednesday, January 6, 2010

South Texas Winter

It looks like we are in for another winter blast in a few days. The local media will make a veritable circus out of it. THE 2010 WINTER BLIZARD EVENT. The ice, the snow, the sleet, the sand on the freeways and all of the ICE RELATED freeway accidents. Don’t forget the THREE P’s. Plants, Pets and Pipes? How about Paranoid, Preposterous and Pandemonium? I heard the weather nerd on TV talking about how much snow we might get. He had that same look in his eyes as that guy who used to sell Sham-Wows and Mister Microphones on late night TV. I never expect it to snow around here because the only time it DOES snow is when nobody sees it coming. Around here if it gets cold enough to snow it’s because the skies are clear and if it clouds up enough for precipitation it stays just above freezing and we wind up with that ugly sloppy mess that is typical south Texas winter.


Sometimes it doesn’t even get cold at all. We go from hot, hot summer to springtime / fall for about 5 months and then back to summer. Here lately with no rain in all that time either. I can always predict Texas summers. Hot and dry, then dry and hot and then it gets hot and dry again for a while. Predicting winters? I gave up. I’ve sat in deer blinds in November and hosed myself down with insect repellents mixed with sweat and then a few weeks later had to break the ice on the water troughs so that the cows could get drink. I’ve skinny dipped on Padre Island in October and shoveled snow out of my driveway in January. OK, I only shoveled snow from my driveway once in my lifetime and probably will never have to do it again as long as I live here but I DID do it once. I had the most fun on my surfboard that winter day than I ever had on any summer day.


I don’t know about you but I’m going to be packing in supplies for this weekend. I need to bring everything it takes to make a big pot of Chile and a weekend supply of hot toddies. But I didn’t just step off the bus into south Texas yesterday. I’ll also be sure to get some ribs for the BBQ and some Bloody Mary and Margarita mix and we’ll see how things go. So Old Man Weather, what’s it going to be? Are you going to have the chills or a fever?


Ya’ll Keep your Mittens handy just in case.

Bye


1 comment:

  1. Hi Snappy......Hope your Chile and Rita's kept you warm enough through the 3 'Ps". Most of my plants that I put in our homemade Greenhouse ended up frozen.....I didn't put a heater in there when it got to the 'ff-degree' mark. I am hoping for a possible plant resurrection when springtime gets here. I figure that if that is all that I lost....then it is a good day. Hey, I remember that 'one' time when it snowed. It was great.....I put Michaey (2yrs old then) & DJ in a large clothes basket with a rope tied to the front and pulled them up & down the snowing street, we all had a blast......thanks for bringing up good memories.

    ReplyDelete