Monday, March 8, 2010

Mexican Seinfeld Moment

From time to time things happen that I think are somehow note worthy. Maybe they aren’t huge “Alert the Press” type stuff but enough to give me pause, make me chuckle to myself or maybe just piss me off. Some of these things might not even be worth mentioning at the dinner table or at the bar over a beer. Of course after a few beers anything seems like fodder for entertaining conversations. If nothing comes to mind some folks start making things up. Not me though. Be it a curse, a gift or a luck of the draw, I don’t have to. I usually just tuck these things away in my brain until I remember to tell someone or I forget all about it whichever comes first. They usually don’t make for a long enough story for a blog entry so I thought I would string some together until I had enough.
(Weeks later)

Oh well, I guess I’m either going brain dead or lazy or both but nothing worth writing about seems to have happened lately. So, I’m going to throw this one out there anyway like a school kid who neglected to do the weeks assignment.

Here "tis.

This one happened one Tuesday morning. I was contemplating what I was going to have for lunch so I called the Mexican Food Restaurant down the street from my work to check the daily special. The following is a loose transcript of the conversation.

Restaurant Lady: Hello..... Mexican Restaurant.

ME: Hi, what's  your lunch special today?

Restaurant Lady: We have the Chicken Fried Steak with mash potatoes and green beans or we have the Chicken Fidel

Me: Chicken Fidel? What’s Chicken Fidel?

Restaurant Lady: It’s chicken with noodles covered with Fidel.

Me: What??? Covered with what???

Restaurant Lady: Covered with Fidel Sauce.

Me: What’s Fidel Sauce?

Restaurant Lady: You know, it’s sauce that…..it’s Fidel Sauce.

Me: Fidel is a man’s name.

Restaurant Lady: No it’s not.

Me: Yes it is! Fidel is a man’s name!

Restaurant Lady: It’s not any body’s name I ever heard of.

Me: How about Fidel Castro?

Restaurant Lady: Nope, never heard of him.

Me: Fidel Castro?….The leader of Cuba for like fifty years?

Restaurant Lady: Nope, sorry, I don’t know him.

Me: OK, never mind that. What’s in this Fidel Sauce?

Restaurant Lady: It’s a spicy sauce of tomatoes and onions.

Me: That sounds pretty good. I’ll come down later and try it.

I felt like had just been in a Seinfeld sketch.

Well after all of this they could have told me the lunch special was horse piss in a hub cap and I would have had to go down there and check it out. Anyway, I walk into the place and immediately look at the lunch special board and see that it says Chicken Fideo. I still didn’t know what chicken Fideo was so I gave it a try. Not bad. Not bad at all.
 
Bye!!

1 comment:

  1. omg.....that is too funny. I have had similar conversations with the waiters in person before....all about the same. They just tell you enough to shut you up or piss you off. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete